MetaTrader, specifically the MT4 trading platform, boasts strong ties to the retail foreign exchange arena. Its easy-to-use interface and broad range of exciting features equip technical analysts with the necessary tools to succeed.
Although MT4 is organised to operate on Microsoft Windows, Apple Mac users are also able to download MetaTrader. Most reputable brokers provide MT4 variants for Mac OS. With FP Markets, Apple Mac users are able to access a custom-built application, software that affords clients all of the advantages of your MetaTrader 4 trading account without the need to install additional operating systems.
However, choosing a broker can be difficult, not only for beginner Forex traders but also for experienced hands as well. You may have a trading strategy, a clear-cut risk and money-management approach, as well as a sharp trading mindset, though without the right broker trading quickly becomes messy. This article, therefore, may be worth a read . For that reason, if you’re simply looking to test drive MT4’s trading platform though are unsure of which Forex broker to select, or Forex account type that best suits your needs, traders can open a demo account with MetaQuotes. As highlighted above, though, MetaQuotes Software Corp. are developers, not brokers. As such, they do not offer live trading accounts – only demo accounts. To start trading live accounts (real money), this must be processed through your selected brokerage.
MetaTrader Mac Download
While the MT4 platform is arranged to suit a Window’s operating system (three most common operating systems for personal computers are Microsoft Windows, Mac OS and Linux), downloading the MT4 terminal on Mac OS without using a broker’s custom application is relatively straightforward.
At its core, the client terminal can be installed to run on Mac OS computers using Wine.
MetaQuotes recommend using PlayOnMac to install Mac OS. Still, another similar well-known software solution is WineBottler. PlayOnMac permits users to install and run software proposed for Microsoft Windows, graphical software that’s built on top of Wine. Wine is a compatibility layer allowing users to manage applications designed for Windows operating systems. Although regularly used on Linux, Wine also runs Windows on a Mac without the need for a Windows license.
To install PlayOnMac, visit their official website here.
Once installed, users are prompted to select the latest version of Wine. Following this you’re free to download the Windows version of MT4 from the MetaQuotes website.
Terminal Installation: MT4 for Mac
Launching the exe file should automatically fire up PlayOnMac, with the PlayOnMac wizard in place to guide you through the installation process.
A standard installation process should then begin. PlayOnMac will also offer to create the necessary shortcuts for your terminal.
Following this, you should be able to begin using the client terminal as you would on Microsoft Windows – double click the client terminal within PlayOnMac.
Despite MT5 seeking to take over from MT4, the latter is (and remains to be) a firm favourite among technical analysts, particularly those who employ Expert Advisors (EAs).
Here are some key features MT4 has to offer:
- Clear order system, presenting a number of order types, including 2 market orders and 4 pending orders.
- Functions such as 23 analytical objects and 30 built-in technical indicators are ready for use as soon as you begin using the trading platform. On top of this, the free code base, a library of technical indicators for MetaTrader 4 developed in MQL4, is incredibly popular.
- Easy-to-navigate charts with 9 different timeframes available.
MetaTrader 4 for Mac OS with FP Markets
- Access to more than 60 currency pairs as well as other financial instruments.
- Trade on tight raw spreads from 0.0 pips.
- Powerful leverage up to 500:1.
- Access a complete set of trade orders, with pending orders included.
- The ability to run all Expert Advisors.
- Complete range of in-built indicators and trading tools.
- Access to technical analysis functionality and advanced real time charting.
- Access to MetaTrader 4 iPhone, iPad and Android apps.
- To install MetaTrader and setup your new account (demo) takes only a few minutes.